Monday, August 31, 2009

One thing Everyone should own...

I was asked the other day why it is young people are attending church less and less now-a-days. It appears as though the growing trend is that people who graduate, and those who move out of the 'rents place attend church less. The issue seems to be that these young adults, who have lived under their parents roof all their life, and have gone to church simply because their parents did, simply don't have the faith that their parents do. 

Let me explain. When i was younger, i went to church in large part because my parents wanted me to go. When i was about twelve i made the choice to go simply because i didn't want my parents mad at me, and it was easier going to church on Sunday morning than it was having a fight with them. When i was sixteen, something changed in my life. I chose to go to church because i wanted to. I enjoyed the messages, and it got to where i wasn't getting enough out of Sunday School and the sermon had more of an impact in my life. 

So what changed? I suppose the easiest way to say it was that i was no longer living out my parents' faith. Instead i had embraced faith as my own. I became a Christian when i was 4. I remember it clearly. But the Bible teaches that not my parents, or anyone else, can give an account for me in Heaven. And so i had to make that choice. I had to own up to my faith.

One of the greatest tragedies i see is that young people do not embrace faith as their own until after they leave their parents house. Why is it a tragedy? Because if someone does not own their faith before they leave the 'rents, they are quickly going to be swallowed up by the things of this world. Partying, drinking, drugs, going to bars all the time, and the list goes on. Once a young, impressionable person gets lured into this lifestyle, it can take years for them to see that it is not a rewarding life. Once they realize this, they often realize the faith that was their parents is now a faith that they must again get to know.

Another thing that can have this impact is a long trip away from home. If a university student travels overseas to work, perhaps to teach English or something, the same effect can happen. The person no longer has the comfort of home, or their home church, or their friends, or any of the other things that made church worth attending. Upon return from the overseas, the young adult can seem somewhat lost, drifting into church but no longer sure of what they believe.

I'm not saying that the faith of these young adults is not real. However, it may (and i stress the word may) be that their faith is only as strong as it is because they've always lived mom and dad's faith. It is a difficult challenge owning Christianity, but no person should have to live this life alone. We should all lift each other up in our faith, and support each other.

My prayer is that young people will own their faith sooner rather than later, preferably before they leave their parents' home. My other prayer is that, for those who have lost touch with their faith in God due to situations described above, that you would "recapture" your faith as quickly as possible.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Good post, Jason. I've been thinking about similar things these past few months.