Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summer!

One of the things i really like about this summer is that it is not so hot. I know people will not like me for posting this, but it's true. We've had below normal temps pretty much all summer, and i love it. My job requires working outside most of the time, and usually i'm doing some type of heavy lifting, or using a cutting torch, but the main area of work that i do is welding. When i'm welding, the temperature under the mask rises about 10 degrees (if not more), so if it's 20 degrees, i will experience 30 degree heat.

But here's the thing people don't want to hear...

One of the things that bothers me is hearing people complain about how the weather is so cold right now. No, it's not -40, but it's "supposed to be" hotter because it's summer. I like to ask the people that complain about how cold it is what they had for supper the night before. It usually throws them off because now they don't know where the conversation is going. Then i ask them if they slept in their own bed the night before. This usually clues them in to what i'm asking.

I have absolutely no reason to complain that the weather is 5 degrees colder than i would like, while millions and millions of people went to bed hungry last night, and just as many slept on a cold concrete slab somewhere. I have been blessed with friends and family, a job, a roof over my head and a bed to sleep on, and food. I cannot in good conscience complain because i had to put a sweater on for a few minutes in the morning while the sun started to warm up.

1 comment:

JuliaD said...

good reminder. :)
i still wish it were a little warmer for camping this week tho, lol.